Filipino Dragons (Singapore) welcomes everyone to try dragon boating with us.
FDS is open to all, regardless of nationality, sex, religious affiliation, or otherwise. It is a fun and engaging team sport. Since our foundation in 2008, we have had members coming from Germany, France, United Kingdom, Spain, Indonesia, Malaysia, Italy, China, Myanmar, India, Singapore and the United States.
Your first newbie session will already involve you being on the boat! Here are some important notes to consider as you prepare for your first newbie session with FDS.
Before your newbie session
- Paddling Attire: Shorts/board shorts, flip flops/slippers, singlet/dry-fit top/rash guard.
- Bring extra clothes to change into after training (along with a towel, soap, shampoo). There are showers near the Boat Nursery which you can use to freshen up.
- Bring a bottle of water (we suggest at least 1.5L). This is very important! Remember to drink water when you’re on the boat even if you don’t feel thirsty to remain hydrated. It is quite hot in Singapore.
- Prepare $10.00 for the training fee (inclusive of vest/paddle & refreshments) and pass it the collection officer after training.
- Do arrive on time to join the warm up session. Arriving 30 minutes after assembly time may be too late.
- Register and complete your signed waiver. Submit to the membership officer or OIC.
- Apply a reasonable amount of sunblock. Being on the boat means exposing yourself to sunshine. We suggest wearing sunglasses (make sure these are snug on your face, or they’ll end up in the river). Wearing a cap is also a good idea.
- Vests and paddles will be provided but please take care of the equipment and ensure that they are brought back to the FDS Cage for storage. There are designated areas for the paddles and vests, please approach any FDS member and ask for assistance if needed.
- Bring a playful personality! This is a team sport. Get to know your fellow newbies. With the right kind of determination and training, you might be winning race medals with them one day!
All newbies and guests, regardless of previous paddling experience, will have to paddle for four (4) consecutive sessions before they are allowed to join the regular training. We require you to do so in order for you to learn the team’s basic paddling technique before joining the regular training.
We welcome you once again to our Newbie Sessions and we want to make sure that your training experience will be fun, easy and enjoyable! See you at the beach soon!